Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students. It is a place for discussion, debate, and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience. Togatus offers a fun, collaborative working environment where freedom of expression and creativity is encouraged.
This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in media and communications. This position comes with a great potential for professional development, networking, and an increased connection with the student community.
Expressions of Interest for the Deputy Editor position is now open.
Contract: The contract commences on the 1st of December and ends on the 30th of November 2018. Renumerated by honoraria (to be negotiated).
Demand: Minimum 15 hours per week.
The Deputy Editor oversees all written content submitted to Togatus. They are to ensure that all published material in both print and online follow Togatus’ editorial standard. As Togatus’ second-in-command, the Deputy Editor is to assume the Editor-in-Chief’s role in their absence.
- Uphold Togatus’ editorial standard by ensuring that the editing process is followed.
- Propose and research story ideas.
- Delegate sourced content and/or articles to contributors.
- Assist in managing the editorial team and contributors.
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief and the Creative Director on the print editions’ magazine layout and priority of written submissions.
- Proofread all written submissions alongside the Editor-in-Chief.
- Monitor multiple blogs and social media feeds by student publications, the SRCs, the TUU State President, noteworthy writers, news outlets etc. for relevant student news.
- Attend all meetings organised by the Editor-in-Chief.
The candidate must be currently enrolled at the University of Tasmania. A Bachelor of Media degree or a Journalism major/minor is advantageous but not required.
The ideal candidate will have good editorial and writing skills, and a genuine passion for student media. They will have excellent communication skills. They will either have experience in media or demonstrate a good understanding of media. It is also advantageous that they have contributed to Togatus previously.
To submit an expression of interest for this position, please forward a current resume, a portfolio of previous work, and a cover letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills, and experience relative to responsibilities to the Editor-in-Chief firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 20th of November 2017.
Interviews for this role will be done within the following dates: Tuesday 21st of November and Monday the 27th of November 2017.