Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students. It is a place for discussion, debate, and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience. Togatus offers a fun, collaborative working environment where freedom of expression and creativity is encouraged.
This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in media and communications. This position comes with great potential for professional development, networking, and an increased connection with the student community and business stakeholders.
Expressions of Interest for the Publication Director are now open.
Contract: The contract commences on the 1st of December and ends on the 30th of November 2019. Remunerated by honoraria (to be negotiated).
Demand: Minimum 10 hours per week. Some additional/varied hours on arrival of each print edition.
The Publication Director is responsible for maintaining the publication pipeline of content. From advertising to website publishing, they are involved in maintaining Togatus as a brand and publisher. They coordinate online publication and consistent visibility of the Togatus brand: developing the social capital and financial profitability of the outlet. They are also responsible for event planning alongside the Creative Director and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Cultivate relationships with suitable advertising stakeholders.
- Attend meetings with advertising stakeholders.
- Negotiate advertising packages under the supervision of the Editor-in-Chief.
- Ensure distribution of magazines to various locations across all UTas schools and campuses and selected businesses.
- Manage Togatus’ social media platforms.
- Responsibility for mail-outs.
- Maintain and update the Togatus website on a regular basis.
- Publish completed articles on a regular basis, under the guidance of the Deputy Editor and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Source visual content for the website in collaboration with the Creative Director, such as accompanying visuals for articles.
The candidate must be currently enrolled at the University of Tasmania. A Bachelor of Media degree or a Journalism major/minor is advantageous but not required.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, and demonstrate a good understanding of brand and marketing principles. They will also be committed to the development of the Togatus. Understanding of WordPress and its backend is advantageous. Some experience with PHP, HTML, and CSS is beneficial, but only enthusiasm to learn is essential.
Immediate supervisor: Editor-in-Chief
To submit an expression of interest for this position, please forward a current resume and a cover letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills, and experience relative to responsibilities to the Editor-in-Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wed 14th of November 2018.
Interviews for this role will be conducted on the following dates: 15th, 16th, and the 19th of November 2018.