Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students since 1931. It is a place for debate, discussion and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience.
This position provides an excellent career development opportunity in media and communications with access to key industry professionals who are members of the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Committee..
Expressions of Interest are now open for an Editor-in-Chief to lead a collaborative dynamic editorial team, who offer freedom of expression and a fun working environment.
The contract is for a 12 month term, remunerated by honoraria.
Approximately 25 hours per week.
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the publication including print, online, events, social media and integration with other TUU publications and UTas Faculties.
The duties of this position include:
- Managing a team of editors, contributors, graphic designers and support staff.
- Oversee the appointment and training of Togatus editors and support staff.
- Provide the top authority for Togatus.
- Publish a number of editions in consultation with the Publishers
- Ensure all contributors and editors make deadlines, produce a quality publication and consistent content on the Togatus Website, within a pre-determined budget.
- Sign off on and monitor all print related tasks.
- Be responsible for the final production of the print and website content, ensuring all Togatus projects are up-to-date and functioning to their greatest potential.
- Monitor all Togatus social media.
- Organise and run regular meetings with other team members on a state-wide basis, including any relevant stakeholders such as the TUU SRC’s and UTas Faculties.
- Meet with the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Committee as required.
- Organise Togatus events and promotion.
- Ensure all Togatus staff comply with the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Policy.
The candidate must be a currently enrolled student in Journalism at the University of Tasmania.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing, editorial and communication skills with a passion for student media. They will have experience in media in some respect or demonstrate a good understanding of media. It is advantageous but not essential that they will have published various content with Togatus, and have experience with WordPress, Final Cut Pro, Indesign, Photoshop and various social media content creation.
To submit an expression of interest for this positon please forward a current resume with a covering letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills and experience relative to responsibilities to James Spencer at email@example.com no later than 5.00 pm Friday 27th January 2017.
For more information go to www.tuu.com.au/togatus
NOTE: Other positions on the Togatus team including Print Editor, Digital Editor, and Assistant Editors will be advertised once the Editor-in-Chief is appointed.