Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students. It is a place for discussion, debate, and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience. Togatus offers a fun, collaborative working environment where freedom of expression and creativity is encouraged.
This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in media and communications, with a focus on print publications. This position comes with a great potential for professional development, networking, and an increased connection with the student community.
Expressions of Interest for the Print Editor position are now open.
Contract: Immediate commencement, term ending in 30th November 2017. Renumerated by honoraria (to be negotiated)
Demand: Minimum 15 hours per week.
The Print Editor is to oversee the publication of Togatus’ print editions.
The duties of this position include:
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to publish the printed version of Togatus.
- Plan layout, prioritise submissions, and direct the design team.
- Propose and research story ideas.
- Oversee fact checking and editing of print articles.
- Monitor multiple blogs and social media feeds by student publications, the SRCs, the TUU State President, noteworthy writers, news outlets etc. for relevant student news.
- Assign stories to student writers.
- Assist in managing all student writers.
- Attend all meetings with the design team and any meetings organised by the Editor-in-Chief.
The candidate must be currently enrolled at the University of Tasmania. A Bachelor of Media degree or Journalism major/minor is advantageous but not required.
The ideal candidate will have good editorial and writing skills, and a genuine passion for student media. They will either have experience in media or demonstrate a good understanding of media. It is also advantageous that they have contributed to Togatus previously.
To submit an expression of interest for this position, please forward a current resume with a covering letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills, and experience relative to responsibilities to the Editor-in-Chief, April Cuison at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5.00 pm Friday 24th February 2017.