NOTE: The expressions of interest period for this position is now closed. Other positions on the Togatus team will be advertised once the Editor-in-Chief is appointed. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students since 1931. It is a place for debate, discussion and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience.
This position provides an excellent career development opportunity in media and communications with access to key industry professionals who are members of the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Committee.
Expressions of Interest are now open for an Editor-in-Chief to lead a collaborative dynamic editorial team, who offer freedom of expression and a fun working environment.
The contract is for a 12 month term, remunerated by honoraria.
Minimum 25 hours per week.
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the publication including print, online, events, social media and integration with other TUU publications and UTAS faculties. They are also responsible for determining and executing Togatus’ content and strategic direction. The Editor-in-Chief is ultimately responsible and held accountable for all content produced both print and online.
The duties of this position include:
- Provide the top authority for Togatus.
- Uphold and ensure that all Togatus staff comply with the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Policy.
- Manage a team of editors, contributors, graphic designers, and support staff.
- Delegate sourced content and commissions to contributors.
- Oversee the appointment and training of Togatus editors and support staff.
- Publish a number of editions in consultation with the Publishers.
- Ensure all contributors and editors make deadlines, produce a quality publication and consistent content on the Togatus website, within a predetermined budget.
- Ensure that all Togatus projects are up-to-date and functioning to their greatest potential.
- Monitor all Togatus social media.
- Organise and run regular meetings with other team members on a statewide basis, including any relevant stakeholders such as the TUU SRCs and UTAS Faculties.
- Be the primary liaison for Togatus with UTAS, the student community, the Publishers, and external organisations.
- Meet with the Student Media ‘Togatus’ Committee as required. Manage and organise Togatus events and promotion.
The candidate must be a currently enrolled student in Journalism or Bachelor of Media at the University of Tasmania.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organisational, writing, editorial, and communication skills with a passion for student media. They will have experience in media in some respect or demonstrate a good understanding of media. It is advantageous but not essential that they have published content with Togatus, and have experience with WordPress, Final Cut Pro, Indesign, Photoshop and various social media content creation.
To submit an expression of interest for this position please forward a current resume with a covering letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills and experience relative to responsibilities to James Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 30th of September 2019.
For more information go to www.tuu.com.au/togatus